Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yom Kippur is at sundown!

Well, I must say that Rosh Hashannah was really a neat celebration. Of course, it did involve a lot of pastries....apple pastries! Yummy! But, the whole point of Rosh Hashannah was to reflect on your life, on your walk with the Lord and on the choices you have made! The things I saw was NOT pretty! I am embarrassed and ashamed, but I felt relieved that God had showed me things that I had denied or tried to cover up for so long! It was like a weight had been lifted!
Now at sundown, Yom Kippur begins. It is the day of Atonement, the most holy of days in the Jewish calender. Again, I'm not Jewish (except through my faith in Jesus Christ) but I felt lead to study and incorporate Jewish festivals in my family's life. Yom Kippur is a day of fasting and praying. I have low blood sugar, so complete fasting won't be an option for me. So, I am searching for something that I can fast that would be a sacrifice to give up....chocolate! Sugar! Yep, no sweets at all after sundown! No blogging or computer! And right now....I am saying no coffee! Ugh!!! Talking about PAIN and TORTURE!! This is my plan for myself tomorrow....raw fruit and water for breakfast, raw veggies and water for lunch and Dinner is after sundown so a normal dinner(Yom Kippur is from sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday,24 hours). Tonight no eating after sundown...only water. During this time I will also try not to do any housework (except that which is necessary to take care of Autumn, she is 4 years old and will not be participating in the food fast!) and spend the day in prayer and the reading of God's word.
Trent is asking questions and is very interested in Yom Kippur, it is so cool to see your teenage son interested in the things of God!
Not as much fun as Rosh Hashannah, but I'm sure the Lord will show me even more during this time of fasting and prayer and I am looking forward to it (did I actually say that?!). Until then.....I am going to overdose on coffee where I will have enough in my system to get me through the next 24 hours of no warm caffeine goodness!

No comments: