Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

As promised....my homemade laundry detergent recipe (well, not mine, but the one I use).
Here is what you will need:


The Borax I get at Wal-Mart for $2.98, Washing Soda at Ingles for $3.38 and Ivory Soap at Wal-Mart $.33 (12 Pack for $3.98).
The measurements are as follows:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar of Ivory Soap
Place the Ivory Soap on a plate.

Place it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Keep your eye on it and if it gets too big, take it out and let it cool. Take the "fluffy" part and crumble in a bowl and place back in the microwave and let it expand again. Repeat this process until all the soap is "fluffy". It will look like this:

Take the cup of Borax and Washing Soda and combine it with the crumbled soap. I take my hand and keep crumbling the Ivory Soap while I work it into the mixture.

I use an empty coffee container to store it in.

I use 2 tablespoons per load. Place in the bottom of the washer and load with clothes. This has worked great with our laundry. Jeff's clothes can get really dirty and I have never had a problem. This is also an all natural laundry detergent!! I use 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of white vinegar for fabric softener. This kills odors, disinfects and softens the clothes. Again this is also all natural and it's cheap! Your clothes do not have a vinegar smell, nor does your laundry room. I buy a gallon of white vinegar at Wal-Mart for $2.98. White vinegar can be used with lots of cleaning...I will post more about that later!!

No comments: