Thursday, July 31, 2008

Menu Plan

I have been trying to be more frugal and economic with my menu plans. STOP! BACK UP! Let me start by saying.....I have JUST started making a menu plan for my family. Not an expert...lots of tweaking to do! But, because of my desire to save money and become debt free (Dave Ramsey has truly turned my world upside down!)I have learned that being prepared; not only in food; but all areas saves LOTS of money! Anyhow, all that said to say here is my menu plan:

Breakfast- (made in advance and in freezer)
Egg and turkey sausage breakfast burritos
Muffins
Egg McMoms
Morning cookies
And of course the breakfast basics of cold cereal and pop tarts

Lunches
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Mac-n-cheese
Wraps
Leftovers

Dinners (made in advance in freezer)
Tater tot casserole
Chicken pot pie
Mexican casserole
Calzones
Meatballs (2 batches)
Pasta bake
Chicken and rice cheesy bake
Chicken tetrazzini

Dinners (made same night)
Salmon patties
Loaded Baked potatoes
Hot Dogs
Crab casserole
Pizza (homemade)

Now I only grocery shop every two weeks because that is my hubby's pay cycle. My goal is to only spend no more than $300 a month. I would love to get it below this! Now, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have learned that I need to make a list and stick to it! Stop buying convenience foods, unless I have an awesome coupon deal and it's on sale at the same time! I also shop at Aldi's for all my staples. A lesson that I have just recently learned is freezer cooking. I have grown to love this. Yes, it is a pain to cook a couple of hours to stock the freezer. But, on those days that you are tired or been out running errands; to be able to come home and have a meal ready to pop into the oven is wonderful! It takes the temptation from stopping by to pick up something or the pizza delivery! Not good ideas when trying to save money! I have also started making my own snacks. Goodness, I can make a TON of Monkey Munch or Chocolate No-Bake cookies for what I would pay for those store bought cookies!
Ugh!I really need to learn to make my own bread and can fruits and veggies! That would save some money! Yep, still a long way to go......

No comments: